Wednesday 12 February 2014

Attending my first writers group

Tonight, I attended my first writers group at Hartlepool Library. My youngest daughter is taking an interest in writing, so she tagged along for the experience.

It was sci-fi night, and although I love sci-fi shows and films, I don't write about it...yet, but we were asked to write something about applying for a life on Mars, or a narrative about being there and what you are getting up to. Once I started writing, it was as if the pen had taken control and was scribbling away madly. If anyone has watched the sci-fi series Heroes, imagine those who draw the future and you get the idea.

Afterwards there was a bit of a read and critique session, which was great, but I only read a small part of mine, as I'd wrote too much and time was running out.

Wish I knew why I can write when I'm given the premise, yet suffer from writers block on my own book attempt. Tonight I wrote about 1000 words in an hour, if I could do that every day for two to three months I'd be over the moon.

Never thought I'd be the type for writers groups and poetry workshops, but looking at them with an open mind has given me a new outlook on my own writing, which I hope will improve as a consequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment